Ready, set, pack! Before you do, though, you need to know what to pack for a dude ranch getaway at Bar Lazy J.
Being at an altitude of 7,500 feet, the summer temperatures here at Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch can vary greatly throughout the day, so we recommend dressing in layers for comfort. One layer should definitely be sunscreen. Since there is less atmosphere to filter the sun, sunburn can happen quickly (even if there are clouds). Review our Rocky Mountain trip tips for more tips on being prepared.
Upon arrival, you will be given a personalized water bottle. Remember, it is important to drink plenty of fluids at high altitude.
We provide free laundry facilities, so there is no need to over pack. Plus, anything you may have forgotten or you find you need after your arrival can be purchased in Granby - a pleasant 15-mile drive from the ranch. If you need a ride to town or would like us to do the shopping for you, just let us know and we are happy to accommodate your needs. The Bar Lazy J Guest Ranch also has a convenient "Ma and Pa’s Gift Shop" where you can pick-up t-shirts, hats, sunscreen, etc.
What to Pack for a Dude Ranch Vacation at Bar Lazy J
We have a very casual atmosphere at the ranch, so leave the suits and ties at home. The following is our recommended packing list:
- Cowboy/Riding Boots or shoe/boot with a smooth sole and heel (hiking boots/shoe with heavy lug soles are not safe to ride in). Please note that we have 100’s of boots to choose from to borrow for the week in our boot barn – especially for the younger riders.
- Warm jacket (Cool mornings and evenings)
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Jeans (Suggested for riding and are appropriate for all ranch activities including dinner and evening activities)
- Shorts (hot, sunny afternoons)
- Sturdy socks for hiking and to be worn with boots
- Rain Coat/Poncho if you prefer your personal one (Slickers are provided on horse rides.)
- Hat(s) Western and/or baseball style are appropriate. Stampede strings are required for western style hats and are available in our gift shop if you don't own a pair.
- Camera, film, memory cards, and batteries
- Fishing flies/lures (Rods, reels and waders are available at no charge)
- Mosquito spray/lotion (they can be pesky in the evening)
- Sports Bra
- Suntan lotion, sunscreen and chapstick
- Favorite Beverage(s) (refrigerator in each cabin)
- Riding gloves (optional)
- Any necessary medications
- Plug-in converter, if visiting from Europe
- Hairdryers can be provided upon request. Just ask!